When you have braces, they can be difficult to care for and clean. Typically, if they feature metal wires and brackets, it can be cumbersome to work around for oral health care purposes. Furthermore, food particles and residue can easily stow away in the crevices located between your teeth and the braces. However, with effective methods and tips, you can keep your smile and your braces clean. Consider the following brace-cleaning tips:
– Be sure to brush your teeth slowly and safely to avoid damaging any parts of the braces.
– If dental floss use is hindered or problematic, try switching to an alternative interdental cleaner such as water flosser or air flosser.
– If your braces should break, never try to repair them yourself, as doing so can potentially cause serious damage to your braces and your mouth.
– Due to the construction of most braces, food restrictions are often required. Typically, stay away from foods that are sticky and chewy, as they can easily become trapped and entangled in the spaces between your teeth and gums.
– Always make sure to keep your regularly scheduled appointments with your orthodontist and attend them as expected.
– Clean and wash your retainer and any other removable parts for your treatment at least once per week. When cleaning them, never allow your retainer or any other part sit out in the open, as this runs the risk of contamination.
If you would like to set up an appointment to discuss your possible oral health care treatments with Dr. Amy Richter and our team at Amy Richter Orthodontics, please call 716-239-4815 to set up a visit to our orthodontic office in Buffalo, New York. Come in today and improve your smile with our help.